Mario Batali agrees to $600K sexual harassment settlement

Video Credit: Reuters - Politics
Published on July 23, 2021 - Duration: 01:42s

Mario Batali agrees to $600K sexual harassment settlement

[NFA] Celebrity chef Mario Batali and his business partner have agreed to pay $600,000 to at least 20 former employees after an investigation found their Manhattan restaurants were rife with sexual harassment, the New York attorney general announced on Friday.

Colette Luke has the latest.


Mario Batali agrees to $600K sexual harassment settlement

Celebrity chef Mario Batali and his business partner have agreed to pay $600,000 dollars to at least 20 former employees after an investigation found their Manhattan restaurants were rife with sexual harassment.

Thatโ€™s according to New York Attorney General Letitia James who said in a statement that the culture of unwanted groping, kissing, hugging, sexual advances and explicit comments at his restaurants Babbo, Lupa and Del Posto broke New York human rights laws.

According to the settlement, the attorney general's probe found that Batali himself grabbed a female server's hand and pulled it towards his crotch, and that he showed a male server an "unwelcome" pornographic video.

Male managers at the restaurants made crass sexual comments, told female employees to wear make-up and insinuated to some of them that they should get breast implants.

Some were told they could not be promoted to captain because they were a "girl." Batali could not immediately be reached for comment, but told the New York Times he would not be publicly discussing the settlement.

In 2018, Batali denied any allegations of sexual assault, but apologized for behavior that he acknowledged had been "deeply inappropriate." Prosecutors in Boston a year later separately charged Batali with forcibly groping and kissing a woman at a restaurant.

He has pleaded not guilty and no trial date has been set.

After waiters and other workers came forward with complaints, Batali sold his stake in his restaurants in 2019.

Del Posto closed this past April.

You are here


๐Ÿ’ก newsR Knowledge: Other News Mentions

New York City

Most populous city in the United States
Leslie Odom Jr.'s looks are so good he deserves a standing ovation! Here's the 31-year-old version of the multi-talented actor at the premiere for his first..
Credit: TMZ.com - Published 5 hours ago

A group of rowdy anti-vaxxers in New York have their own weird twist to Patrick Henry's liberty demand -- they're demanding freedom, alright ... food court..
Credit: TMZ.com - Published 16 hours ago

Prince Harry got a taste of New York he's never experienced before ... in the form of chicken and waffles ... and a lot more. Harry and Meghan Markle took a trip..
Credit: TMZ.com - Published 22 hours ago

Jennifer Lopez took a trip to Central Park in NYC Friday night, to rehearse for the big concert Saturday. J Lo hit the stage with Ja Rule and LL Cool J at around..
Credit: TMZ.com - Published 22 hours ago


Related videos from verified sources

Celebrity chef Batali, business partners to pay $600,000 00:31
Video credit: KTNV Channel 13 Las Vegas - Published on July 23, 2021 

$600,000 Settlement Reached In Batali & Bastianich Harassment Case 00:34
Video credit: CBS 2 New York - Published on July 23, 2021 

Celebrity chef Batali agrees to $600K sexual harassment settlement 01:42
Video credit: Reuters - Politics - Published on July 23, 2021 

You might like